Monday, December 15, 2008

Unplugged (or, ICE STORM '08!)


Well, we did it. We survived Ice Storm '08! While I actually thought the ice-laden trees of our winter wonderland were quite pretty, they wreaked major havoc on our roadways and electrical system over this past weekend. Schools and businesses have been shut down for four days now, with no heat or power. I love how in the Northeast they give these natural phenomenons front-page billing on every newspaper with names like ICE STORM '08! Like it's some major concert event we're all dying to get tickets to. ICE-A-PALOOZA! WooHoo! Sign me right up!
The fun-filled weekend I had planned - kids' cookie exchange party, quick overnight getaway in CT with my college housemates, and Seamus' Christmas concert Sunday afternoon - all came to a screeching halt when we lost power Friday morning. So did 80% of our city. The temp Friday night was predicted to be 15 degrees. BRRR. I called five hotels and managed to land us a room, and we all stayed warm and toasty. Saturday morning, still no power. Saturday evening, still no power. Yay, Nanny and Poppy's power goes back on! We all shuffled over there for a slumber party. Sunday, still no power. Wow! Even I am in shock...and I'm a diehard Northeaster, who will take a mountain of snow and chilly temps over heat and humidity anyday. But as you can see we had some serious ice, ice baby...

This limb snapped off a tree in our yard and landed on the deck. We were very, very lucky...there were many uprooted trees that smashed right through people's homes.
On Sunday we battled our cabin fever by attending a Toys for Tots fundraiser that my dad was DJing. Gigi was excited to get all dressed up in her pretty dress...
And Seamus couldn't wait to wear his festive Pimp Daddy hat...

They spent the entire afternoon on the dance floor, hula-hooping and limbo-ing away. (If you're looking for a way to keep your preschoolers entertained, download the music and teach them how to do "The Freeze." Hilarious!)
When it came time to visit with Santa, I said all I wanted for Christmas was for our power to be turned back on. (Well, that and a shiatsu massage cushion. And a Kindle. And a new Fiestaware place setting. And what the heck, world peace.)
I must have been a good girl this year because we got our power restored at noon on Monday! We were so fortunate to have had a warm place to spend the weekend, and I know there are still many, many more who do not yet have heat. But I am grateful that ICE STORM '08! has come and gone, and wonder when we should get in line for BLIZZARD '09!

12 comments:

Danielle said...

I'm so glad to hear your power is back on! You got some beautiful pictures though...and I love Seamus' hat! Don't you need to come to Florida anytime soon?? Disney world maybe?? :)

Melissa Swartley said...

Wow! You sure did get some major ice! I'm glad you got your power back on and that you stayed warm and toasty through it all! The kids look like they had a great time ~ cute as ever! Woo hoo for fiestaware! I'm a big fan of it too! I actually just posted pics on facebook of my stash! Are you asking for the new chocolate color?

Destini said...

Wow Em, a kickback to Vanilla Ice - lets go 80s!! Grace is looking so grown up in her beautiful dress - and Seamus is such a ham! So glad to hear that you guys stayed warm all weekend and didn't have any real damage.

Unknown said...

I got goose bumps just looking at the pictures of ice. Glad you have the power back on. What a character Seamus is!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

I'm colder just looking at those pictures...brrr! We had an ice storm last night here in Dallas, but nothing compared to that! All of our schools are just down today.

Becky said...

Wow! What a crazy weekend! Glad you were able to stay warm and safe! Grace is so cute in her pretty dress, and Seamus is so funny in his hat. Glad to hear your power is back on! Good luck with all the rest of your Santa wishes!

Caden and Mommy said...

BRRR - Emily! We have been freezing here too. It was 5 degrees this morning! Luckily we haven't had the ice or power outages! Adorable pictures. I love Seamus's hat - that kid has a personality :0)
Trisha

Jillsblog said...

brrrr....I am a northeaster at heart too but come on!!!!

And I agree, I play the freeze dance at my preschool all the time. During the freeze parts this time of year, the kids yell "ho ho ho"...fun stuff.

Kim said...

What a storm! I can only imagine though the food shopping you guys are doing this week! Hannaford-here come the Camenga's! The pictures of Gigi and Seamus are so freakin cute! I love the pimp hat. Too funny! The kids do hats well. I hope that you get that massage and fiestaware set too! You deserve it mommy!

Greene Family said...

I'm glad to hear that your power is back on and that you guys stayed warm and safe all weekend long! Great photos - it looks like Seamus and Grace had a great time! I love Grace's pretty dress and Seamus is such a character in that hat! I hope the rest of your Christmas wishes come true for you too!

Mandy said...

So glad that you made it through the ice storm. Are you ready for the new storm that is going to hit today.

I am glad that you have your power back warm and that you are staying nice and toasty.

Jen Weisser said...

Now that you lived thru the "Ice Storm of 08" you all need are some commemorative t-shirts so you can show everyone that you survived it! lol!