Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Best

For the past year, maybe year and a half, I’ve been on my own personal quest.  You see, there are some things in life I take very seriously, one of them being the chocolate chip cookie.  So every Sunday I would take out my trusty Kitchen-Aid and search the internet for another recipe claiming to be “the best.”

Oh, I tried many.  You have no idea.  Brown butter, cold butter, sifted flour, cake flour, milk chocolate, dark chocolate.  I tried more recipes than I even care to share. 

But this one right here…this is the best.  It’s a combination of many different recipes, and it has been tested and tweaked over time. 

(Now I realize what constitutes “the best” to me may not be the same for others.  I like cookies that are a tad crisp and chewy on the edges with a soft middle and lots of texture.)

*A couple of notes:  Dark brown sugar is a must.  For the oats, I just use the regular Target brand old-fashioned oats, pictured below.  I mill the oats in my Baby Bullet, but I’m sure a small food processor would work great.  I also only use 1 cup of chips, because I don’t like them to be super-chocolately, but feel free to use as much as you like.  I also always use parchment paper on my cookie sheet – makes a big difference!

photo (1)

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (according to me)

1 stick butter, room temperature

1 stick butter, melted

1-1/2 c dark brown sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

1-1/2 c oats, milled fine

2 c flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp sea salt

1 c chocolate chips

Add the melted butter and softened butter to your mixer.  Cream butter with the dark brown sugar.  Add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla.

In a separate bowl, add your milled oats, flour, salt and baking soda.  Add a little at a time to your mixer until completely incorporated.  Add chocolate chips.

Chill dough for about 30 min.  This helps give the cookies a nice wrinkly appearance after baking.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop cookie dough onto sheet using a cookie scoop or tablespoon.  Bake for 10 min at 350 (every oven is different, mine come out perfect at 10 min.)  Let cool on baking sheet for 5 min before transferring to a cooling rack.

photo (2)

See how nice and wrinkly they are?  Yum!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lyla Our Little Miracle said...

THEY LOOK AMAZING!!!! Yummy Yummy!!!