Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mommy's Sippy Cup

A friend of mine has a huge wine glass with those words written on the side, and I crack up every time I see it! I looove wine. At the beginning of summer, I started having one small glass of red wine every night....for cardiovascular health, of course! But I really do look forward to it, and it's so much fun trying out new wines.


My hubby is getting more and more adventurous. When we first met, he didn't drink any wine at all. I started introducing him to some fruity whites, which he liked...he was a dedicated Pinot Grigio drinker for a long time. The past year or so, he's been trying some reds, but he'll only drink them cold! It's so funny. We'll be out to dinner, and he'll seriously ask the waiter to put ice cubes in his red.


We live in New York, and for some reason you can buy beer in a grocery store, but not wine. It would be much more convenient to be able to do one-stop shopping, but it is also really fun to walk into a wine store and see the rows and rows of gorgeous glossy bottles. I'm a big fan of cheap wines, and I'm always on a quest to find the best-tasting under $10, with the most interesting label. My most recent favorite is something called Gnarly Head!


Any suggestions for cheap, yummy wines? What are your favorites?

6 comments:

Mike Mallinson said...

Yellow Tail - both the Shiraz and the Merlot - are quite yummy wines for inexpensive ones! I actually bought a $40 bottle of a zinfandel that had been featured in the movie "Sideways" on the recommendation of a wine shop clerk, and thought it was terrible, but I tried a $120 bottle (don't do that too often, right?) of shiraz that was amazing! Now it's back to two buck chuck for a while... :-P

Jaime said...

I agree with Mike, Yellow Tail is good, although I am more of a white wine girl. I like my Chardonnay. Some of the out of the ordinary wines that I have tried with interesting names are Smoking Loon, Blue Monkey, and my all time favorite out of the ordinary names - Fat Bastard (yep that's really the name). I also like Meridian, Clos, Firestone, just to name a few! Happy drinking!

Kim said...

EMILY! Yay! I am so excited that you have joined the blogging world. I will definitely add you guys to the blog roll. I miss you guys and cannot wait for you guys to come visit. Tomorrow when I unpack I have to find our Thomas pictures to put a picture in Preston's room of he and Seamus. We have to set up a phone date ASAP!

Unknown said...

I LOVE wines. I shop for wines at Trader Joe's, Cost Plus World Market, and Bev Mo....Bev Mo just started their 5 cent sale. Trader Joes have a few but very tasty organic red wines. I like the organic red wines because they don't add additional sulfates like they do in regular red wines. California is SO known for their wines....I'm only an hour away from the Napa Valley which I have done a few wine tasting tours in my days...they have a wine train too which I need to try. You'll have to let me know if you are ever in California.

Anonymous said...

Hi Em - loved every bit of your blog - the was the first picture of Seamus-John and his extremely handsome Poppy ! Kepp up the great job of being the best Mom every for Seamus & Little Gracie -
Love You all so much - Poppy !!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for all the mis-spellings - its 12:02 and I am in the middle of MNF - Game II Love Poppy