Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Helping Hands

It's really wonderful when the kids like helping around the house. Grace, for instance, has been on an "I help Mommy" kick. While I love her enthusiasm for housework, it does take some creativity to come up with little tasks for her to do, while I get the actual chore done. Last night I was in the kitchen folding laundry. Here comes Gigi, "I help you Mommy, I help you!" She proceeds to take the folded stack of dishtowels and unfold each one, laying it very smoothly over the arm of the couch. No prob, I can re-fold. I hand her a stack of baby washcloths.

"Here Gigi, can you take these into the bathroom?"
"Yes,Mommy!"
She runs off, I go back to folding, and of the sudden we hear the toilet lid slam. I look at my husband and groan. She comes running back, yelling "I did it, I did it!"
Oh, she's such a good helper. She put the washcloths away...in the toilet. Sigh.


And here she is with four pairs of Devon's (clean, I promise) boxer briefs around her neck.


I just wanted to share a fun and easy project with all of you. I did these with the kids a while back, and they loved it. Rachael Ray had Rosie O'Donnell on her show in the spring, and they made dough out of a cup of flour, a half-cup of salt, and half-cup of warm water. Knead it together until it reaches a good doughy texture, and then let your kids have fun with it. I helped the kids shape the dough into circles, and then made impressions of their handprints. I used a toothpick to write their name and the date around the edge.
You can make bowls, animals, whatever you like. When finished creating, bake your pieces on a cookie sheet at 200 degrees for about 2 hours. When cool, they can be painted with acrylic paint. Here's Seamus showing off his handprint, he painted it red.







Just a warning, although these will look like gigantic, soft sugar cookies, do not eat! Here's Grace after she gave her "cookie" a lick...yuck!
I love looking at their little hands every day perched above my sink. And I'm sure many of you can agree...there's just nothing cuter than an achon handprint!

7 comments:

Caden and Mommy said...

Emily!
You are correct about the achon handprint. So Cute!
Grace sounds like a great helper! Although looks like she needs training on where the laundry goes once it's folded, too funny :0) It's amazing how girls just have that natural instinct to want to help around the house!
Trisha

Jaime said...

What a wonderful idea. I saw that episode but have yet to try it. I think I see an idea for a few Christmas presents! We'll have to work on this in the near future!

I love Grace's idea of helping and especially where she put the towels! Too funny!

Mike Mallinson said...

Hahaha - the toilet thing is hysterical! Yeah, Evan and Caitlin both love "helping out" with the housework. Fortunately Evan's getting to the age where his help can actually be useful, but Caitlin mostly loves rolling around in the clean clothes and throwing them on the floor!

Greene Family said...

Too funny - what a great little helper Grace is! :)
The handprints are so cute and it looks like it was a lot of fun! I'm going to have to try it with Simon in a couple of months.

Alex said...

Samantha, my 4 year old wants to help all the time too! And you're right, it is hard to come up with projects for them. I love the handprints, it's so cute!

Kim said...

Emily-Nothing cuter than an achon hand. I love Grace's natural instinct to help. Of course I hear you on the washcloths in the toilet.
Preston loves helping me do the laundry. He is so proud of himself.
What a cool idea with the dough. I should let him make ornaments for everyone for Christmas!

Destini said...

Taylor has seemed to outgrow her desire to help! All her and Trace want to do is spray stuff. Cute handprints, and it sounds so easy!