Saturday, September 13, 2008

Go Mommy!

In my quest this year to become a healthier mom for my kids, I've made a lot of changes. I joined the Biggest Loser game that was organized at work, and won the twelve week competition in April. I started taking multivitamins and fish oil, even though the thought of it grosses me out. I drink green tea concentrate and try to eat less processed foods (which is really difficult, because processed usually equals convenient!) The only thing missing from my new healthy lifestyle was exercise.

I have never in my life been an athletic individual. As a kid, gym class used to make me sick to my stomach, and the mere mention of a neighborhood softball game was enough make me turn pale. I joined the swim team in high school due to the encouragement of some close friends, and although I participated for four years, I was bad. I was hideously bad. My coach used to feel so sorry for me, at meets he would throw me in one race and then make me his "assistant" and have me keep split times. I had a sense of humor about it though, and really never minded always coming in last.

So as an adult, I really felt that there had to be something I could be good at. I started researching exercise options and came across this awesome running program, called Couch to 5K. It promises to get even the biggest couch potato up and running 5k within 9 weeks. (To be really accurate, in my case it should have been called "Sprawled Across the Floor in a Sea of Legos to 5K.") Here's a link to the program if you want to check it out: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml


So I went out and bought some running sneakers and a stopwatch, and I was on my way. The first week, I kept thinking, Is this really for me? I was sweating, thirsty, and huffing and puffing by the time I finished each workout. I made my husband promise to force me to finish the program if I started to get discouraged. He was extremely supportive and encouraging, and I found myself looking forward to the evening runs where I could get some alone time after a long day. I kept at it, and even though some weeks have been tough, I'm getting close to the end...I'm on week 6 and it's going great. In fact, on Friday, I completed my first 20 minute run, with no walking...I couldn't believe it! I did it early in the morning, I had some great music playing on my MP3 player, and when I got to the last 3 minutes, I gave it my all...I felt like I was starring in my own Nike commerical!

I am signed up to run a 5K on Thanksgiving Day, and I am certain I will make it to my goal. I can't wait to see my hubby and kids at the finish line, cheering me on. I have surprised myself, doing something that I never thought I could do, and I just had to take an opportunity to pat myself on the back! So here's to all of us super moms and dads and all the awesome things we do, may we always remember that strong and happy parents make strong and happy families.

7 comments:

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Good luck! I did my first and only 5K when Cole was 2 1/2 months old. I did it without walking! I was so proud of myself. I would really like to get back into it. Maybe with your inspiration (and the summer months coming to an end) I can be on my way to another 5K!

Kate Reyes said...

After you told me about the couch to 5K program I checked it out and have decided to start it too. I've been talking about doing 5K's for a few years now so its time I finally got moving. :-)

Alex said...

hey, your kids are adorable! Can I add your blog to my blog roll? Here is my blog if you want to add it to yours.

http://loveisallyouneed-4.blogspot.com/

Kim said...

Emily-I am so proud of you! I really need to start doing some exercise because I just sit at a desk all day. It is so darn hot here though....
I applaud you because it takes a lot of hard work and dedication!

Destini said...

Emily, I don't know how I missed it before, but I just found your blog - you have a wonderful family! The kids are totally adorable and you have a great sense of humor!

Danielle said...

I missed this post somehow!! I read ones before and after it! That's awesome to read, and now I have even more motivation. I'm signed up to do a family 5K at disney in March (a princess theme, you can even bring strollers), so i've given myself a long time. My athletic story is exactly like yours! I can't wait to see pics of you crossing the finish line on Thanksgiving!

Danielle said...

I missed this post somehow!! I read ones before and after it! That's awesome to read, and now I have even more motivation. I'm signed up to do a family 5K at disney in March (a princess theme, you can even bring strollers), so i've given myself a long time. My athletic story is exactly like yours! I can't wait to see pics of you crossing the finish line on Thanksgiving!